Polymeric sand is a granular material placed between the joints or seams in brick pavers or stone in patios, walkways and driveways. It’s primary function is to improve the interlock and therefore the durability and stability of a paved surface. Benefits of polymeric sand include:
- It improves durability: The binding agents in this product help lock the pavers together. This will give your installation more strength over the long haul.
- It will not wash out of joints between pavers with a heavy rain: With plain old sand, this is a common problem. Polymeric sand reduces the amount of water that will wash between the pavers and down into the base materials. This will help keep the foundation of your project sturdy as well.
- It deters weed plants: Using polymeric sand will not guarantee that weeds will never grow in your new walkway or patio, but it will help considerably. Plain sand is a much more inviting home for weeds than polymeric sand.
- It is resistant to ant pests: Ants will have a much more difficult time getting into and making homes in the spaces between your pavers if you use polymeric sand.
- It comes in different colors: Polymeric sand comes in a variety of colors, usually in different shades of gray and beige. Choose the color that goes best with your pavers. For example, a shade of gray looks good with flagstone pavers.